- Director Health and Social Behavior
- Chair, Community Health Sciences Division
Denise Herd is an Associate Professor of Behavioral Sciences, Director of Health and Social Behavior, and the Division Head of Community Health Sciences.
Denise Herd is an Associate Professor of Public Health at UC Berkeley. Herd’s scholarship centers on racialized disparities in health outcomes, spanning topics as varied as images of drugs and violence in rap music, drinking and drug use patterns, social movements, and the impact of corporate targeting and marketing on popular culture among African American youth. In addition to her extensive scholarship in public health, Herd has also served as associate dean at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health for seven years.
- PhD – Medical Anthropology, UC San Francisco, 1985
- MA – Anthropology, San Francisco State University, 1978
- BA – Anthropology, UC Berkeley, 1972
- Health disparities
- Images of alcohol, drugs, and violence in rap music
- Activism in African American communities
- Drinking and drug use patterns and problems
- Social movements
- Multicultural health