- Chancellor's Professor of Public Health
- Director Epidemiology/Biostatistics MPH Program
- Co-Director Master of City Planning/Master of Public Health (MCP/MPH) Program
Mahasin S. Mujahid is an Associate Professor of Epidemiology whose research is devoted to examining neighborhood health effects, cardiovascular health disparities, and racial/ethnic health inequities over the life course.
Mahasin S. Mujahid is an Associate Professor of Epidemiology at the School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley. Her primary area of research is the area of social epidemiology with a particular interest in investigations of neighborhood health effects, cardiovascular health disparities, and racial/ethnic health inequities over the life course. Using data from several U.S. based cardiovascular cohorts, Dr. Mujahid seeks to improve the measurement of structural and contextual measures, including specific features of neighborhood physical and social environments, and employ novel statistical methods to estimate the contribution of structural and contextual factors to cardiovascular health and health disparities. Her research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and published in leading public health and medical journals.
Dr. Mujahid holds several leadership positions at UC Berkeley as the Director of the MPH Program in Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Co-Director of Master of City Planning/Master of Public Health (MCP/MPH) Program. She is an active member of the American Heart Association where she is a fellow, member of the Advocacy Committee, and immediate past chair of the Social Determinants Scientific Subcommittee. Dr. Mujahid is also a renowned teacher and mentor. She has received several honors from UC Berkeley, including the Distinguished Faculty Mentor Award, the Committee on Teaching Excellence Award, and the Leon Henkin Citation for Distinguished Service.
Prior to joining the faculty at UC Berkeley, Dr. Mujahid earned a B.S. in Mathematics from Xavier University, New Orleans LA, and an M.S. in Biostatistics and Ph.D. in Epidemiology from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI. She was also a Robert Wood Johnson Health and Society Scholar at Harvard University
- Fellow – Robert Wood Johnson Health and Society Scholar, Harvard University
- PhD – Epidemiology, University of Michigan
- MS – Biostatistics, University of Michigan
- BS – Mathematics, Xavier University
- Multi-level determinants of racial/ethnic health disparities over the lifecourse
- Neighborhood health effects
- cardiovascular health disparities
- Methods in social epidemiology
- Population health