Meredith Minkler DrPH
Meredith Minkler is a Professor Emerita of Health and Social Behavior and has more than 35 years of experience working with community partnerships to study and address equity and social justice issues.
Meredith Minkler, DrPH, MPH, is Professor Emerita of Health and Social Behavior at the School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, former chair of the Schoolwide DrPH Program and founding director of the university’s Center on Aging. She co-edited the first major textbook on community-based participatory research in the health field and has more than 35 years’ experience in developing and implementing community partnerships, community organizing and community-based participatory research to study and address health equity and social justice. She continues to work with diverse community groups including low-income youth and elders, women of color and the formerly incarcerated. She has co-edited and authored 9 books including “Community Organizing for Health and Welfare” (2012) and “Community-based Participatory research: Advancing Social and Health Equity (2019), as well as over 200 peer-reviewed publications.
- DrPH- Community Health Education, UC Berkeley, 1975
- MPH – Public Health Education and Demography, 1970
- BA – Social Sciences, UC Berkeley, 1968
- Community-based participatory research as a strategy for healthy public policy
- Community and policy approaches to healthy retail for tobacco control and decreasing food insecurity
- Policy and other structural barriers to civic and community participation among formerly incarcerated people
- Improving prevention and control of emerging infectious diseases through enhanced community involvement
- Critical perspectives on aging and health