Assistant Adjunct Professor
- Research Fellow Human Rights Center, School of Law, UC Berkeley
- Emergency Physician Kaiser Medical Center, Oakland
Dr. Haar is an emergency physician with expertise in health and human rights. Her work focuses on the protection of human rights in times of complex humanitarian crisis and conflict. She is particularly interested in the protection of health workers and health services. She is a research fellow at the Human Rights Center at UC Berkeley’s School of Law and works clinically at Kaiser Medical Center in Oakland, California.
Dr. Haar’s research interests include studying the impact of human rights violations, such as torture, violations of free speech and assembly, and war crimes, on health. She is particularly interested in developing strong research methodology in fragile contexts. Dr. Haar serves on the board of the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility.
- MPH: Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, Program on Forced Migration, Population and Family Health
- MD: The University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine
- AB: The University of Chicago, The College.
- Health and Human Rights
- Global Health Ethics
- Violence against healthcare in conflict settings
- Health in complex humanitarian crises and armed conflict
- Health impacts of international human rights and humanitarian law and violations
- Anti-torture initiatives
- Balancing civil liberties with public health needs
- Clinical social emergency medicine
- Health and Human Rights, Fall (PH211/Law264.6)
- Practical Application of Epidemiological Methods in Developing Countries, Spring (PH259B)
- Global Health Ethics, Fall Online (PHW2130)