This page includes critical information about research resources to assist with the proposal development process including listings of funding opportunities; grant writing workshop recordings and materials; research administration updates from the Associate Dean for Research, documents describing the internal and external peer review processes at SPH; and important campus forms and links.
Tue$day Top Tip$ for SPH Research
Tuesday Top Tips includes a summary of current federal, state, UC-specific and foundation funding opportunities relevant to SPH faculty and researchers as well as announcements about current research administration topics of interest.
Grant Writing Resources for SPH Faculty and PIs
These curated resources are intended to assist PIs in the proposal development process and include grant writing workshop recordings and materials, a list of NIH funded grants awarded to SPH PIs from 2010-2020, and information about peer review processes available to SPH faculty and researchers.
- Writing resources for faculty and researchers
- Grant writing workshop materials/recordings including list of NIH funded grants over past 10 years
- Specific Aims Review – SPH has a process for PIs to request specific aims review by other SPH faculty. The process document can be found here.
- External grant review – SPH has a process PIs to request external review of grants. The process document can be found here.
- Grants Repository: To assist junior faculty who are writing their first grant proposals, we have developed a grants repository which has copies of funded proposals (R01, R21, R34, P01, DP2, RWJF). If you would like to provide us with new examples of funded projects or would like access to the repository, contact Lauren Goldstein at email@example.com (access by request only).
- Budget Guidance: There are specific resources listed below that can help PIs put together their budgets for grant proposals. In addition, your pre-award research administrator can help answer budgetary questions.
- Proposal budget basics on the SPO website can be accessed here.
- Cost Share Guidance: If you would like guidance on how to include cost share in your proposal, see here and contact Lauren Goldstein for access to a SPH-specific policy document.
- K01 Budget Guidance: If you would like guidance on how to budget for a K01 proposal, please contact Lauren Goldstein for access to a SPH-specific K01 guidance document.
Proposal Development Quick Guide for SPH Faculty and PIs
“Proposal Development Process from Beginning to End: Quick Guide to Campus Research Administration Resources.”
This is a quick guide to the grant process at SPH from start to finish including important campus links, forms and tips.
Research Administration Updates: What’s the latest?
Spring 2020 SPH Research Updates
Recent Research Updates with summaries of new initiatives and resources from the Associate Dean for Research can be accessed here and will be updated as needed.
Pilot Emergency Bridge Funding for Research, 2020-2021 Guidelines
We are pleased to announce the launch of a pilot emergency bridge funding program for SPH faculty PIs. This pilot for the 2020-2021 year includes two forms of bridge funding: a bridge funding loan (open to faculty who are Adjunct, Clinical X, HS Clinical, Ladder-Rank, and PIR) and standard bridge funding (open to faculty who rely on grant or other outside funding to support their academic year salary, specifically Adjunct, Clinical X, HS Clinical, and PIR faculty).
Federal Funding Updates
Lewis-Burke, Inc is a Washington DC firm that provides the UC Berkeley campus with regular updates about the federal funding landscape and other important Congressional updates as they relate to University research. These frequent updates can be found in this shared Google folder: Lewis-Burke Federal Funding Updates
In addition, The NIH Extramural Blog regarding NIH funding updates and information about changes in policies, and other topics can be found here.
Research News Intake Form
Do you have research news to share?
If you have a new funding source, a new publication or other research news to share widely – please complete this research news intake form and the communications team will be in touch with you and will disseminate the information on the website and/or on social media.
Contact Information and Organizational Charts for Research Related Personnel
These links are to various contact lists related to research and research administration at SPH and Berkeley.
- View the School of Public Health leadership and administration contact list
- View the current School of Public Health Organizational Chart
- View the current Contact list for SPH Human Resources and Academic Personnel
- ProS Region Research Administration contact list
- ProS Region Organizational Chart
- Sponsored Projects Office Contact List