Anke Hemmerling MD, PhD, MPH
Interdisciplinary MPH Program
- Project Director UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health
Anke Hemmerling is the program director of the UCB SPH Interdisciplinary MPH program, and a project director at the UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health. Her research combines approaches from her training in clinical medicine and in public health, with a special focus on global women’s health and sexually transmitted infections. She teaches a number of classes related to women’s health at UCB and UCSF.
Anke Hemmerling is the director of the Interdisciplinary MPH Program at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health. In her research, Dr. Hemmerling combines the approaches from her training in clinical medicine and in public health, with a special focus on global women’s health and sexually transmitted infections. Her research has included work on medication abortion with mifepristone, the use of misoprostol for postpartum hemorrhage in developing countries, the scope of infertility in developing countries, and the use of live biotherapeutic products such as lactobacilli for the prevention of genital and sexually transmitted infections.
She is a project director at the UCSF Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health, implementing studies of live biotherapeutic products for the prevention of HIV and other genital infections in women, in the US and South Africa.
In addition, she is a member of the Education Committee at the UC Global Health Institute Center of Expertise in Women’s Health and Empowerment, and a faculty member at the School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley. At UCSF and UCB, she is mentoring and teaching medical students, graduate students and post-doctoral students in several educational programs, including the UCSF Infectious Disease Research and Training program (IDRTP), the UCSF Global Health Masters Program, the UCB Interdisciplinary MPH program, and undergraduate PH majors.
Dr. Hemmerling also serves as a senior scientific advisor and steering committee member of the Coalition Advancing Multipurpose Innovations (CAMI), as a member of the Population Council Microbicide Advisory Board, and as a member of several safety and monitoring boards of NIH-sponsored clinical trials. . In the past, she has gained additional experience in global health research and practice during clinical training in Latin America, and as a UCB Bixby Fellow of Population, Family Planning and International Health, and as a Director of Special Health Projects at Venture Strategies for Health and Development.
- MPH – UC Berkeley, 2004
- PhD – Medical Sciences, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany, 2003
- MD – Humboldt University Berlin, Germany, 1999
- HIV/AIDS and STI prevention
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Safe motherhood
- Global health
- Family planning, childbearing choices and infertility
- Multipurpose prevention technologies for reproductive health
- PH 292(12): Core Seminar Interdisciplinary Program
- PH 196: Women’s Global Health and Empowerment
- PH W108 (online): Women’s Health, Gender and Empowerment
- PH198 (DeCal): Decolonizing Bodies in Public Health
- PH 212D: Expanded Foundations of Global Health (GH Core Course)GHS 208 (UCSF Global Health Sciences Masters Program): Women’s Health and Empowerment