Environmental Health Sciences
Dr. McHale joined the laboratory of Dr. Martyn Smith as a postdoctoral fellow in 1999 after completing her PhD in Hematology at The Queen’s University of Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is a researcher (Specialist), research translation coordinator, and program manager in the UC Berkeley Superfund Program. Her research focuses on approaches to improve hazard identification of environmental agents and she enjoys collaborating with diverse stakeholders on various initiatives.
- 1992-1998: PhD in Haematology, The Queen’s University of Belfast, N. Ireland
- 1991-1992: Masters of Medical Science in Clinical Laboratory Medicine, The Queen’s University of Belfast, N. Ireland
- 1988-1991: BSc in Biotechnology, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland
- Approaches to improve hazard identification of environmental agents and cumulative exposures
- Development of “key characteristics” of various classes of toxicants and their application to hazard identification
- Application of toxicogenomics to identify biomarkers and mechanisms of toxicity of environmental carcinogens, including benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene