Clinical Professor Emeritus
Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology
- Editorial Board Chair UC Berkeley Health and Wellness Publications
John Swartzberg is a faculty member of Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology division. He chairs the editorial board that produces the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter.
John Swartzberg, MD, is a clinical professor emeritus at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health, chairs the editorial board of the School of Public Health’s Health & Wellness Publications. He is a past director of the UC Berkeley–UCSF Joint Medical Program. He is past-President of UC Berkeley’s Emeriti Association.
Swartzberg is board certified in internal medicine and infectious diseases. Before joining UC Berkeley’s faculty part time since 1980 and full time since 2001, he spent 30 years in clinical practice. He is also the hospital epidemiologist and chair of the infection control committee at the Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley.
He teaches an online course on Principles of Infectious Diseases and a seminar on Healthcare Associated Infections and another on Vaccine Hesitancy.
He has collaborated with the late Sheldon Margen, a pioneer in nutritional sciences and co-founder of the Wellness Letter, on the highly successful Wellness Self-Care Handbook in 1998 and the Complete Home Wellness Handbook in 2001
- Fellowship – Infectious Diseases, Stanford University, 1975
- Internal Medicine Residency – University of Colorado, 1973
- MD – UCLA, 1970
- BA – UC Berkeley, 1966
- Healthcare Associated Infections
- Infectious Diseases
- Journalism and Public Health
- PHW260: Principles of Infectious Diseases
- PH 266C: Healthcare Associated Infections
- LS 198: Vaccine Hesitancy