Kristine Madsen MD, MPH
Joint Medical Program; Public Health Nutrition; Community Health Sciences
- Faculty Director Berkeley Food Institute
Kristine Madsen is an Associate Professor at the School of Public Health and the Faculty Director for the Berkeley Food Institute.
Dr. Kristine Madsen is an Associate Professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health and the Faculty Director for the Berkeley Food Institute. She is a pediatrician and research scientist with expertise in the design and evaluation of interventions related to pediatric obesity, cardiovascular risk, and health disparities. She has partnered with schools, health departments, and cities to expand the reach of school and community programs that promote health. Her research team recently conducted the first study to examine the longer-term impacts of Berkeley’s soda tax on sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in low-income neighborhoods.
- MD – Indiana University, School of Medicine
- MPH – Epidemiology, Indiana University
- BA – Math and English, University of California, Berkeley
- Health disparities
- Policy approaches to reducing cardiovascular disease
- Physical activity
- School health
- Community-based participatory research
- PH H195A/H195B: Honors Thesis Seminar
- PH 196: Senior Seminar in Research Methods
- PH 290: Transforming Food Systems