Thomas E. McKone PhD
Environmental Health Sciences
- Strategic Advisor Energy Analysis and Environmental Impacts Division Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Thomas E. McKone spent 35 years as a University of California researcher and faculty member and is now Professor Emeritus at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health and a rehired retired senior scientist and advisor to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on sustainable energy systems.
Thomas McKone retired from the University of California in 2015 but continues his research and student/staff mentoring as a senior scientist and advisor on energy analysis and environmental impacts at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and as a Professor Emeritus of Environmental Health Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley (UCB) School of Public Health. McKone’s research career has focused on the development, use, and evaluation of models and data for environmental risk assessments and the health and environmental impacts of energy, industrial, and agricultural systems. He has authored more than 160 papers in archival peer-reviewed journals and has been a member of more than a dozen National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) committees as well as chairing a major NASEM study and serving on its Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology. He has served on the US EPA Science Advisory Board, worked with several World Health Organization committees, and has been on consultant committees for the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the World Health Organization, the International Atomic Energy Agency, and the Food and Agriculture Organization. He is a fellow of the Society for Risk Analysis and a former president of the International Society of Exposure Science (ISES).
- PhD – University of California, Los Angeles, 1981
- Risk assessment methods
- Life cycle impact assessment
- Mass transfer at environmental and human/environment boundaries
- Model uncertainty and reliability in exposure/risk assessment
- Environmental and occupational radioactivity
- PH 220C: Health Risk Assessment, Regulation, and Policy (Sp)
- NUC ENG 275: Principles and Methods of Risk Analysis (F)