Graduate Admissions Requirements
Applicants may apply to only one program and should tailor their applications to their program of choice.
Please note: some programs have additional requirements so please be sure to check the requirements on the program-specific pages.
Applying Requires a Dual Submission Process: The SOPHAS Application and the UC Berkeley Application
In order for your application to be considered for review, you are required to submit both the SOPHAS application and the UC Berkeley Graduate Admissions application prior to their deadlines.
- Exceptions to the SOPHAS requirement policy: If you are an MBA/MPH or an MSW/MPH applicant, you do not need to submit a SOPHAS application.
In addition, there are mandatory fees for both applications that must be paid in full—or have waiver(s) in process.
- For questions about application fee waivers, please refer to the SOPHAS and UC Berkeley Graduate Division websites. Berkeley Public Health’s Admissions Office does not administer fee waiver requests.
The following items are required to apply to all on-campus graduate programs:
- UC Berkeley application and fee,
- SOPHAS application and fee,
- Statement of Purpose,
- Personal History Statement,
- GRE test scores,
- Official transcripts from all institutions (including community college and graduate coursework). Minimum B average (3.0) or equivalent (work completed in the last two years of a bachelor’s degree program and in all post-baccalaureate coursework),
- Three Letters of Recommendation,
Individual Program Requirements
The amount of work experience required by each program varies. Please thoroughly review the requirements and qualifications of the program you are applying to for more guidance.
All of our 1-year programs require that you have an advanced degree at the time of applying (such as an MA or MS degree). For more information about our 1-year programs and what their specific requirements are, please go to the program page for the degree you are interested in.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants
In addition to the above mentioned items, international applicants must also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (Submitted to both SOPHAS and UC Berkeley),
- If you are admitted and choose to attend Berkeley, be prepared to send an official set of transcripts to UC Berkeley.