International students are an important part of the UC Berkeley community and contribute a unique global perspective. Over the past year, the Berkeley campus welcomed thousands of international students as well as thousands of international visiting scholars. Visit the UC Berkeley Graduate Division Resources and Services page the for more information on international applicant requirements.
English translations are required for transcripts in all languages except Spanish. English versions must be issued by the degree-awarding institution or by a certified ATA translator. The ATA number must appear on the certification to be considered, and notary certification is not acceptable.
We strongly recommend including a WES ICAP course-by-course credential evaluation in addition to your translated transcripts. Transcript translation can not be completed by WES.I
f you have extenuating circumstances preventing you from obtaining transcripts, contact our Admissions Coordinator.
Degree certificate(s) must include the degree/ title awarded and conferral dates in the original language and in English translation.
International students are not required to submit a GPA if grades are not scored using the system presumed in the general admissions requirements.
Evidence of English Language Proficiency
All applicants who have completed a basic degree in a country/region in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency.
There are two standardized tests you may take: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the Academic International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS). Duolingo and USMLE are not accepted.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*: a score of at least 90 for the Internet-based test (IBT) is required for admission.
We accept the internet based (iBT) and iBT Home Edition. We do not accept the TOEFL ITP Plus for Mainland China.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)*: An overall band score of at least 7 on a 9-point scale is required for admission.
All IELTS scores must be sent electronically from the testing center, and no institution code is required. Our address for identification purposes is: University of California, Berkeley, Graduate Division, Sproul Hall Rm 318, MC 5900, Berkeley, CA 94720. Please do not mail any score reports to us.
*All test scores must be taken within the last 2 years. For Fall 2024, tests taken before June 1, 2022, will not be accepted even if your score was reported to UC Berkeley.
To qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS exemption, you must fulfill one of the following options:
- Have a basic degree from a recognized institution in a country where the official language is English.
- Have completed a basic or advanced degree at an institution, in the United States or a United States institution abroad, where the language of instruction is English and the institution is accredited by one of the United States’ regional accrediting agencies.
- Have completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better at a regionally accredited institution within the United States.*
- The following courses do not qualify for an exemption: courses in English as a Second Language, courses conducted in a language other than English, courses that will be completed after applicants submit their application, or courses of a nonacademic nature.
- The TOEFL or IELTS must be submitted by applicants who do not meet the exemption criteria above.
The Online MPH program requires participation in two in-person campus visits. When selecting which admissions cycle to apply to, we recommend International applicants review US visa regulations and consider their home country’s timeline for processing visas.