Skip subnavigation and go to article content

We are so excited to welcome you to the UC Berkeley School of Public Health!

Please read the information below on how to have a smooth on-boarding process. If you encounter any issues, please email your program manager. Before you can officially start with us, there are a few steps to complete:

Step 1: Submit Your Transcript with Degree Conferral

Until the Graduate Division receives your official transcript(s), you will not be recognized as an admitted student. If you were still in your undergraduate program at the time you applied, you will need to submit an updated transcript showing your degree conferral and confer date.

Due to Covid-19, official e-transcripts from United States Institutions are preferred and can be sent directly to by the issuing school.

Note: You will not be able to register until we receive the official documents.

Contact Graduate Admissions at if you have questions.

Step 2: Create a CalNet ID

If you haven’t already, create your CalNet ID on the CalNet website.

You will need to provide your Student Identification Number (SID). We suggest using your first and last name when creating your ID.

After you create your CalNet ID and Passphrase, please log in to CalCentral using your CalNet ID and passphrase.

Note: Your SID may take up to three days to be recognized in our system. If you are having problems creating a CalNet ID, please wait and try again in a couple days. Contact us if you are still having problems three days after accepting your offer of admission.

Note about Cal Central: CalCentral is an online one-stop service center that allows students to manage class enrollment, billing, financial aid, and student records. This will be your primary online dashboard as a student.

Step 3: Create a Berkeley Email

All future program-related communications will be conducted through your Berkeley email address, which is fire-walled to protect student confidentiality and program-related information, so be sure to establish one as soon as possible. In the summer, we will add you to our BPH student listserv and transition to sending emails to your Berkeley email address only. Be sure to check your Berkeley email address regularly.

To create your Berkeley email address, please go to bConnected website.

On the right hand side under “Getting Started”, click on “Create accounts and lists”

Note: You will need your CalNet ID and passphrase. The bConnected home-page provides help desk contact information. Should you encounter any technical difficulties, please contact the help desk directly.

Important Dates, Deadlines and Other Helpful Information

Obtaining Your Cal1Card

We know many of you are eager to obtain your Cal1Cards, which is a required UC Berkeley Student ID. The Cal1Card provides building access, access to the Recreational Sports Facility, University Health Services, transportation (i.e. AC Transit/Clipper Card) and other important campus resources.

  • Summer Students who are local: If you are already in the area and need your Cal1Card this summer (for Clipper access, parking, etc.) please let us know by emailing as soon as possible and upload your photo to your Cal1Card account. We will distribute Cal1Cards for local summer students at the Berkeley Way West building beginning June 21. We are working on creating scheduled pick up times and will send more information when we have it.
  • All Other Students: Please follow the instructions on the Cal1Card site on how to upload your photo to your Cal1Card account. Please upload your photo no later than June 30. Ignore the option to set up an appointment directly with the Cal1Card Office as we will pick up your cards from the Cal1Card office for you and distribute them from Berkeley Way West. The cards will be available at BWW beginning July 19 and you can come pick them up during our designated pick-up times throughout the summer if you are in the area. Alternatively, you can wait until Orientation/Welcome week on August 23 to obtain your card!


We understand that some of you may be considering a deferral given lingering uncertainties about COVID-19. Please note that deferral policies vary by program and not all programs allow deferrals. If you would like to defer your start date to next year, please let us know as soon as possible by reaching out to your program manager and CC’ing with a request stating your reason for deferral. We cannot accommodate deferral requests past Monday, May 24 unless it is for visa-related reasons.

Course Enrollment

We know many of you are eager to start enrolling in courses! You will receive information from your program manager about how to enroll in courses for the term and which courses to enroll in prior to the start of the semester. As a reminder, you will be able to see registration information in CalCentral once you are matriculated into our student system this summer.

Summer course enrollment is currently open. Fall course enrollment for new graduate students begins July 16. Check your CalCentral account for more information and view the calendar for all dates and deadlines for fall semester here.

New Student Orientation

Save the date for Monday, August 23! NSO will be your opportunity to meet (or re-meet) our BPH community members, learn about resources available to you as a student, sign-up for student organizations, and network with your cohort. We are awaiting guidance from the university about how best to plan campus events and are unsure if NSO this year will be in-person, online, or hybrid. Stay tuned!

Academic Calendar

The Berkeley academic calendar is viewable here. Summer instruction begins July 6 for 11-month students, and Fall instruction begins August 25 for all other students. For the first week of instruction, all courses will be held remotely to accommodate COVID-19 testing and vaccination. After the first week, a majority of your classes will be in person; please plan to be physically present.

Housing Resources

Information on housing options can be found on the Campus Housing website and International House website. Please note that housing availability is limited, and some campus-run apartment complexes may have additional priority population designations; early application is advised. Additionally, you may use our housing guide and the following forms to get connected with other SPH students seeking housing.

Funding and Billing

Please see the helpful links below to aid you in navigating student funding and billing services.

Note: tuition is due the Friday before the first day of instruction.

Student Health Insurance Plan

All registered students are required to meet the university’s health insurance mandate. Registered UC Berkeley graduate students are automatically enrolled in the Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) as a way to meet this mandate. You will receive information from University Health Services about SHIP and how to submit a waiver application if you have comparable insurance and do not want to keep SHIP as dual coverage.

California Residency Information

All new students are required to submit a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) upon submitting your Statement of Intent to Register. The SLR is a form used in determining whether you will be charged resident or nonresident fees. If you do not complete the SLR before the deadline, you will be classified as a nonresident and will be responsible for all nonresident fees. In order to meet the University of California residency requirements, graduate students must be in an eligible immigration status and satisfy the “Physical Presence” and “Intent to Remain in California” requirements by the residence determination date, which is the first day of instruction.

You can find more information about how to apply for California residency for tuition purposes at this link.

Information about documentation required for graduate students to meet the residency requirements is available at this link.

International Student Update

Questions regarding your I-20 or the visa process should be directed to the Berkeley International Office (BIO). A great place to start is to review their New Student website which includes a checklist of pre and post-arrival requirements. A recent email from BIO about new guidelines for international students is also attached.


Campus updates about COVID-19 and information about fall semester planning is available here.


You should all have access to our jobs and internships platform, PHLEX via your CalNet login. If you have any issues accessing the site, please let us know.