Graduate Student Researchers (GSRs) and Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs)
- Graduate Student Appointment Checksheet
- GSR Appointment Form
- GSI Appointment Form
- Registration Fees
- Fee Remission Program Information for Graduate Students: Eligibility, Title Codes, and Remission Types
Visiting Student Researchers
Guidelines for Lecturer Salary Setting, effective July 1, 2014:
- The lecturer minimum salary rate is $49,012 (step 3).
- The continuing lecturer minimum salary rate is $55,453 (step 8).
- Credit is given for prior college-level teaching experience (two steps for every three years). GSI or Summer Sessions teaching doesn’t qualify.
- Unit 18 (Lecturer – Tables 17A and 17B) Salary Scales
Summer Salary Information and Form
Faculty Salary Research Exchange (FSREP) updated for 2020-21
- Faculty Salary Research Exchange (FSREP) Form
- Faculty Salary Research Exchange (FSREP) Announcement
- Faculty Salary Research Exchange (FSREP) Process Map
If you or someone on your team has ever wondered what the best method of payment is here at UC Berkeley, you’ll be pleased to hear that the Controller’s Office and Supply Chain Management have teamed up to create the purchasing and payment matrix which outlines the recommended methods of payment for goods and services purchased.
Why was the matrix created?
One of the most common requests from UC Berkeley shoppers is for a list of what can and cannot be purchased with a bluCard, Event Planner Card (EPC) or any other card; and which items need to be purchased via a PO or some other method. The purchasing and payment matrix clearly outlines what is and isn’t allowed for each different purchasing method, and provides links to campus resources that describe the process and policies that limit which payment methods can be used for different activity types.
How do I use this resource?
If you have a need to purchase a specific good or service, search for that item on the main tab of the matrix to find information about which purchasing methods are preferred, allowed, or restricted. For some purchases, there is a required process and this is indicated within the columns; follow the links for more information on those items. On the far right column, you will find links to the UC policy that applies to purchases of that good or service.
If you have a specific payment method (for example, a bluCard) and would like to see a list of everything that can be purchased using that method, select the tab at the bottom of the matrix that corresponds to your purchase. This will re-order the rows to group together at the top of the page to show the goods or services that are allowed for that payment method.
What if the item I wish to purchase isn’t listed on the matrix?
The matrix currently contains ninety different goods or services, which represent the vast majority of purchases here at UC Berkeley. That being said, it is specifically designed to be updated when new goods or services are identified or when there are updates to campus processes or policies. If you are looking for something and don’t find it in the purchasing and payment matrix, let us know by following the link in the upper-right-hand side of the sheet that says “payment matrix feedback” and we will investigate and determine if updates are required. We’ll document any updates in the ‘Changelog’ tab.
If you have questions about the purchasing and payment matrix, please contact email@example.com.
Purchasing and Payment Request Resources
- SPH Purchasing Strategy and Authorization Process
- SPH Authorization List
- SPH BearBuy User Guide
- SPH BearBuy Workflow by Role
- SPH Card Program Workflow by Role
- SPH Delegation of Authority Org Chart
- SPH Delegation of Authority for Contract & Grants
- SPH Delegation of Authority Under $5000 Form
- SPH Delegation of Authority Above $5000 Form
- SPH After-the-Fact Without Insurance Certificate Form
- Campus Shared Services Travel & Entertainment Forms and Instructions
- Vendor Request Form
- Order Business Cards
- Independent Contractor and Consultant Services Forms and Instructions (for purchasing personal, professional, independent contractor, or consulting services): Log in to Bear Buy and then click this link; or log in to Bear Buy, navigate to the Forms page, and select “Independent Contractor and Consultant Services” form.
- Conflict of Interest Form
- Selection/Source Justification for Up to $100,000 (Guidelines)
- Gifts to Non-Employees Policy
- Application to Serve Alcohol at Campus Event
- Campus Shared Services Lost/Missing Receipt Certification Form
NOTE: The information in this section will be moving permanently to the new Research Resources page. This list will no longer be updated and will be removed on February 1, 2021. Please go to the Research Resources page for the most up-to-date content.
- Search for Funding
- New to Grants and Contracts?
- Where to Get Help
- Proposal Writing Resources
- Guide for Student Researchers and Scholars
- Gift and Grant Distinctions
Pre-Award: Biosketches, Other Support, & Just-In-Time Information
- SPH Proposal Request Form
- Biosketch Info – Public Health Service Grant Application
- Other Support NIH Template and Example
- NIH Just-In-Time Instructions
- Cost Sharing Basics
- Registering to Use NIH eRA Commons
- Registering to Use NSF FastLane
- Consultant, Subaward, Collaborator, and Vendor
- Senior Key Personnel
- Exceptional PI Request – VCRO Form
- Exceptional PI Checklist
- Exceptional PI Online Submission
- Proposal Checklist for NIH R01 Applications
- Fund Advance Guidelines and FAQ
- UC Berkeley Fund Advance Request
- Conflict of Interest Forms
- Public Health Service Financial Conflict of Interest PI Certification
- Public Health Service Financial Disclosure
- National Science Foundation Financial Disclosure
- Academic Personnel Manual – APM-025 Outside Compensation – Annual Report Form
- Academic Personnel Manual – APM-025 Outside Compensation – Category I Prior Approval Form
- Berkeley Excellence Accounts for Research (BEAR Grants) for Faculty
- 700U – Statement of Economic Interests for PIs
- National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award Fellowship Certification
- VCRO Late Proposal Request
Post Award: How To’s and Quick Guides
Service Agreement, Org Chart, Contact List, Institutional Information
Process for Student Financial Aid Awards
If your division, unit, or center would like to award a tuition/fees payment (excluding fee remission) or stipend to a student, please follow the process below:
Complete the new SPH Financial Aid smartsheet. Before submitting a request, please be sure it has been approved by the fund manager. Thank you.
Other Student Services and Admissions Forms
- E-grades – How to Assign Grades
- Application for Candidacy for Master’s Degree (Plan II)
- MPH Degree Breadth Requirements
- Assigning and Removing an “I” Incomplete Grade
- Petition to Change Class Schedule
- Information on the Disabled Student Program
- GSI/GSR Information
- Filing Fee Application
- Grade Appeals Procedures
- Course Evaluation Form
- Academic Progress Report for Doctoral Students
- How to Use GradLlink on the Web
- GradLlink on the Web (GLOW) Access Form
SPH Course Proposal Procedures and Required Forms:
- Process for Course Proposals in the School of Public Health
- Course Proposal Instructions
- Course Approval Request Form
- Request for an Exception for Non-Senate Member to Serve on Higher Degree Committee
- Request for Change in Higher Degree Committee (also known as “Reconstitution”)
- Report on the Qualifying Exam
- Petition for Late Enrollment/Registration
- Change a Major or Degree Goal
- Petition for Grade Change
- Request for In Absentia Registration Form
- Application for Candidacy (Plan B)
- Students in Crisis Information from Tang Center
- Gold Folder (Faculty/Staff Reference to Help Students in Distress)
- Application for Readmission
- Statement of Legal Residence (must be submitted with “Application for Readmission”)
- Notice of Withdrawal – (for retroactive [i.e., prior term] withdrawals only)
- SPH Withdrawal Form
Resources and Quick Links
- Summary of SPH Human Resources & Academic Personnel processes
- BRS (formerly CSS) forms
- Contact list for Human Resources & Academic Personnel team
The UCPath Online portal gives you access to many employee self-service features and, if applicable, manager self-service features.
- Employee self-service includes: update name, address, phone number, emergency contacts; review leave balances; add, delete, update direct deposit; review online pay statements; update federal/California tax withholding; enroll in benefits; enter life event(s)
- Manager/supervisor self-service includes: direct reports’ employee information; absence balances; compensation rates
You will continue to use the At Your Service Online portal to: view and update beneficiary information; view and print past W-2s; view past benefits information; view or change retirement savings account information
Student Assistant Hiring
For supervisors who need assistance, the Dean’s Office provides support for the hiring of Student Assistants. This can include advertising on the Work-Study Program jobsite and subsequent work-study referral, UCPath position # assignment, hiring request submission to Berkeley Regional Services, and coordination of extensions/separations. The hiring process must be complete before a student employee can begin working. To request support, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For hiring GSRs, GSIs, Readers, and/or Tutors, contact your division/research business manager.
For others who manage Student Assistant hiring, you will need a unique UCPath position # in order to refer a student to a position on the Work-Study Program jobsite and to complete the hiring request submission to Berkeley Regional Services. To request a Student Assistant Position #, complete this webform; please allow up to 48 hours for the position # to be sent to you via email.
Staff Recruitments and Appointments
Academic Research (Specialist, Project Scientist, Researcher) Recruitments & Appointments
To create a new position or refill an existing position, follow this step-by-step process guide.